Thursday, August 5, 2021

 topic: thrift stores and acquiring

i love me some thrift store shopping!  it's an adventure, you can find unique stuff, and the prices are fantastic.  i have been at it for 30+ years .  the primary reason has been to seek out neat vintage stuff at a major bargain to funk up my abode.  but that stuff can start piling up if you aren't careful.  i have reduced my stash over the decades by several means.  I first tried ebay when it was in its infancy and didn't have very good success.  i had to list items several times and then only sold them at a break even cost. then ebay takes a bite and there's all the packaging and shipping costs to figure, driving the boxes to the PO, and god help you if the buyer has an issue... so not worth my time or the nickels i earned. I have had several yard sales over the years which i sell shit for cheap, quarters.  buy 1 item get 10 free. i have also sold things on craigslist which were higher dollar items like a push lawn mower and a violin.  and lastly I've just donated or gave stuff away.

about 4 years ago i decided to Kon-mari my house and that was the true turning point for me that curved my high acquiring.  when you have to face all of the shit you own and know you did this, it is a wake up call.  also understanding that everything has to have a place and not shoved into a storage bin for 'later use' or some hair brained upcycle crafting BS.  

i think one of the conflicts that goes on in the mind of hard core thrift store shoppers such as myself is that it's a hunt and a thrill.  if you leave empty handed it can almost feel like a waste of time, a let down.  that kind of thinking has to be halted.  

after my Kon-Mari i reduced my thrift store shopping drastically.  i could now clearly see what my house could comfortably hold and what areas may need a bit of junk on the wall.  so then i was shopping thrift stores with a purpose and i have a running list in my head of stuff i am looking for.  sure, i still hunt the whole store and sure, every now and again a random item comes home but not like before.  literally before if it was vintage and a decent price i bought it. Now if i come home empty handed i don't see it as defeat. i see it as a postive that i don't have some random item that i have to deal with/store/maintain.  it's a victory.    

No comments:

Post a Comment